- To comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable legislation, regulations, and codes of practice.
- To integrate sustainability considerations into all our business decisions.
- To ensure that all staff are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
- To minimize the impact on the sustainability of all office and travel activities. To make clients and suppliers aware of our Sustainability Policy, and encourage them to adopt sound sustainable management practices.
- To review, annually report, and to continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
Practical steps, In order to put these principles into practice we will:
- Ensure that timber furniture, and any other timber products, are recycled or from well-managed, sustainable sources and are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified.
- Reduce electricity consumption by turning off air conditioning, fans, computers that are not in use. And adjust the air conditioning temperature appropriately.
- Separates all materials which can be recycled or reused. Recyclable (Plastic, Paper, Paper box), minimize our use of paper and other office consumables, for example by double-siding all paper used, and identifying opportunities to reduce waste.
- Support positive participation in the community and consider environmental impacts
- Seek to purchase electricity from a supplier committed to renewable energy. Seek to maximize the proportion from renewable energy sources, whilst also supporting investment in new renewable energy schemes.
- Create natural water sources. To do our tourism activities and therapy with filtered bamboo before being released for natural use.
- Provide year-round employment for all of our employees. Accommodation, employment, and food for our mahouts
- Educating local elephant owners about the ideal elephant care while helping local communities We believe that empowering and adding value to their lives will help to encourage them to have better practices of elephants that will directly assist Asian elephant conservation in Thailand.
In coming years
At Elephant Jungle Sanctuary, we are more than just a company. Our hope is to lead by example and contribute to a positive change in the perception of elephants; to witness a future where elephants are not poached, ridden, overworked and abused and are instead being treated with care, love, and respect.
We work hard all year round to care for our rescues but we also believe that to truly thrive, we have to be sustainable. Since 2014, Elephant Jungle Sanctuary has provided jobs, housing, and financial support. We also work to support small projects for the betterment of the lives of the people around Chiang Mai, Mae Wang Province.
We believe that our hard work will benefit our rescues and the future of domestic elephants in Thailand and hopefully South East Asia.